Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blogging in the classroom?


When we began this semester, I really didn't see the point in blogging in the classroom. As a matter of fact, I think I said it was my least favorite tool. Actually, I said it was my second least favorite only to wikis. Through our class wiki and lessons, I have changed my mind.... a little bit.

I learned that there are many ways one could use a blog for education: for writing down thoughts while doing research, to just get thoughts out which will help facilitate writing or creating, using it as a tool for projects, etc.

Now I can see the possibilities for my students- I often have creative writing types assignments in my class. Sometimes for extra credit, sometimes as homework. I think this would be a prefect opportunity to use blogging in the classroom- especially when it comes to creating opportunities for authentic learning.

An excellent example of the kind of lesson that could be created:

A series of letters written in first person written to a friend or family member about a certain event in history we are covering in class. Students could use class time in which I would allow them to work on it or free time. They would write at least 3 letters and up to 5 per semester. Each letter would cover a different point in history. Student scan pretend to be, for example, George Washington writing to his wife, Martha, just before the crossing of the Potomac River, or the wife of a soldier in the Civil War, writing to her husband about Sherman's burning of Atlanta, etc.

These first person tellings will truly show how much the students have absorbed in the lesson and will give them the opportunity to be creative with an electronic format that they are probably more comfortable with. It will also give them additional practice with the technology. It certainly would be more fun to read as a teacher, as well! Much more visually stimulating. Blogging in first person/ creative writing also gives the student and opportunity for a really unique authentic experience which they create for themselves! Including paintings, or pictures, video or sound... anything which will help make their blog come to life.

I think this is a technology I still feel I need more time with, however. My only concern would be, of course, equity issues for students who might not have the technology at home. I would make my self available to these students before or after school to help them of give them access to computers. If they do not know how to include images or video in their blogs I will show them how to do it. But there is still the concern about students who can not make it before or after school for whatever reason. I would need to provide days to use the computer for these types of activities.

Overall, I think I have come a long way with blogging for education. I am still not 100% sure about it, though. I am not sure what my mental block with it is. I think once I get into a classroom, I will experiment with it and see where it goes. :)

No comments: