Friday, November 2, 2007

The Platonic Classroom.


In my classroom, I want to be a motivator and facilitator... and a sort of "guide." As I have mentioned before, I model my classroom to feel like the Lyceum of Ancient Greece and try to mold my students (as much as possible) to be like the Peripatetics and not myrmidons or drones. I want my students to be able to speak freely with one another and with me. I want them to question authority and ask WHY as often as possible. I try to mold them into critical thinkers and real philosophers (i.e. "lovers of knowledge"). To me, that is the ideal: the Platonic "Classroom." I want my students to debate and pose thoughtful questions and solve them -mostly- in and amongst the back and forth banter.


The reality is, it is really hard to get to that point sometimes- especially for a new teacher. Let's face it. Times are different. Laws are different. Morals and values are different. Out of 6 periods in a day, I was only able to get to that Platonic ideal in 2 classes full-time. My remaining classes, only limited free forum was possible. I don't pretend to have all of the answers on "how to control**" the classroom... But I hope as I continue my education, I will gain more tools that will make me a more effective teacher so I can "let go" with them all.

I think one key to control is to sort of be a "fisherman" of students. Throw out a wide net and see how it falls and when appropriate, pull the net in... and then let it go again. Give them direction. Don't get "caught up" in the net yourself- and don't let them "get away."

As adults and teachers, it is our duty to:

  • First, give them our respect. That is a fixed condition.
  • Second, lay down the boundaries in which they are to confine themselves (not you confine them- we are not wardens).
  • Lastly, to immediately give them our trust.




Respect.
One way I do this is to call my students Mr. Smith or Ms. Jones, Ms Brown, etc. Most schools don't want students calling the teacher by their first name. So, I tell them I am elevating them "almost" to my level (almost, because I am the teacher). I also do little things like listen to them as if they were a peer of mine. I value their thoughts and ideas and applaud their efforts- even if they are empirically wrong in their answers. I am also truthful with them about the details in History- even if that means contradicting their text. It would be easier to teach from the book. But I respect and care about my students enough to go the extra mile and give them the truth. Another way to show respect for your students is to set the bar high (not too high so that it is totally impossible) for acheivement in your class. Let them know "they are smart enough" they can do anything they set their minds to; help them realize how powerful each one of them is, etc. Be sincere. They won't immediately "get" and "feel" this as respect, but over time, they will know it and believe it and, in turn, truly respect me (you), as well. In short: if you give it, you will receive it.


Boundaries.

Children, even up to young adulthood, crave boundaries. Regardless of whether they are cognizant of it, rules and parameters let them know you are in control and that you care. It is important to lay down the rules for them and make them as clear as possible; let them ask questions; let them ask for clarification. Also, be clear about ramifications. Boundaries and ramifications are most effective, I have found, when you present them as choices they make as individuals to remain within the boundaries or consequences of poor choices on their parts. If they choose poorly, they should know that what follows was their choice, not yours. They will understand this if you were clear from the beginning.

Once boundaries are determined and set out, they must be consistently followed. Consistency is absolutely vital. Without consistency, students will lose respect for you as their guide and teacher.

Boundaries are not just dry rules of "raise your hand" and "get a pass to go to the bathroom" or "no plagiarism" (heh). Boundaries are also related to "time-management." Keeping kids "on task." It is important to know when to reel them in and when to cast the net again.

Trust.

Freely give them your trust. Whether it be with the technology, their papers, homework or simple classroom discussion... Once the boundaries have been outlined and understood you "let go." I feel the teacher should act as a guide or a buffer or even a sorta goalie- when they jump out of bounds you pick 'em up and toss 'em back into play. :)

When and if trust is broken, they should know the consequences which follow are choices they made through a series of bad choices of their own making. They will have to work to regain your trust... but don't make that task impossible or they will feel effort on their part is pointless.

Overall, let them be involved in their own education, allow them to make critical decisions. When you tell a student you trust them to make the right choices they feel valued and will often rise to the challenge.

Kids want to be respected. Students crave boundaries. Also, they want to be trusted. These are the keys, I feel, to control your classroom. Without them, the task would be impossible.
-----
Each classroom is made up of different individuals and your boundaries and rules may differ some from class to class. One should be flexible in dealing with each class. I know one period in particular which I allowed them a great deal of latitude because they were consistently hardworking, respectful and wholly deserving of my trust... others.. unfortunately... not so much.

These are just some of my ideas on issues of "control." To reiterate, I do not pretend to have all of the answers. I hope in reading other people's blogs I will pick up more information and tips to add to the mental rolodex moving me closer to my Platonic Classroom.



**Can I just say I am a little uncomfortable with the word "control." I always have been, but as I was writing this, it felt a lot more... YUK for me. Perhaps it is a necessary evil of sorts. I wonder if there is a better word? Students should be the "master of their souls" and I should not be a glorified babysitter or warden. That is what I imagine as I write the word "control" in the context of "teaching." Perhaps the better word is guide.

No comments: